Sandalwood nuts are unique to Australia- the only true sandalwood species that produces these delicious edible nuts! Creamy and rich with a unique texture, sandalwood nuts are perfect for baking and cooking. With 38% Omega 9 oils, 17% fibre and 17% protein, these really are the bush tucker of choice when it comes to nutrition!
Below is an easy and incredibly delicious granola recipe incorporating our favourite nut with honey as a natural sweetener. Without the use of refined vegetable oil, processed sugars, combined with quality ingredients- just know that your homemade granola will be significantly more nutritious than the store-bought variety!
Sandalwood Apple & Cinnamon Granola
3 Cups (270g) Rolled Oats
¼ Cup (40g) Hemp Seeds
¼ Cup (40g) Pepitas or Pumpkin Seeds
2/3 Cup (100g) Raisins or Sultanas
1 medium Apple, cored & chopped
½ Cup (70g) Whole Almonds, crushed
3/4 Cup (105g) Roasted Sandalwood Nuts, crushed
1/3 Cup (116g) Honey or Maple Syrup
1 tbs. Hemp Seed Oil or Extra-virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
¼ tsp. Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 160oC. Line two baking pans with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine all dried ingredients: oats, hemp seeds, pepitas, raisins, apple, almonds, sandalwood nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
- Add hemp seed oil through the mix.
- Fold honey into the mixture; continue to mix until oats are evenly coated, and a consistent texture is achieved throughout.
- Using a spatula spread and layer the granola evenly between the two trays.
- Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Remove trays from the hot oven with oven gloves; give the granola a quick stir to help it cook evenly. (Repeat this step as necessary after each 10 minutes or so).
- Return trays into oven and continue baking for a final 10-15 minutes.
- Granola should be a light golden-brown colour when ready. Remove trays from oven and allow granola to cool.
Granola will naturally become crisper as it cools.
Store granola in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Do not be afraid to substitute the nuts and seeds within the recipe to what you prefer.
As always using Gluten Free rolled Oats will ensure that its suitable for those who are intolerant to gluten.